Peter, Patience & The Pedicure

PETER, PATIENCE & THE PEDICURE

“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” – Colossians 3:12.

The world is going a bit crazy these days.  Just five minutes of the evening news and I want to either cry or throw something at the TV.  So many people that we love are going through terribly difficult and painful things.  They may look happy and healthy on the outside, but the stories of what is going on in their lives are heartbreaking.

It is tempting to look at social media and assume that the lives of our friends are going well.  It looks like they have their lives all together.  By comparison, we feels like failures and our lives like disasters, making us feel alone and isolated. We feel we are the only one going through something really hard.  In reality, not being able to see someone’s problem does not mean one does not exist.

A few days ago I got a pedicure.  The young woman who served me was distracted, cold and a bit rude.  While polite, there was no intent at engaging in conversation.
She got distracted several times during the pedicure and walked away.  The first time when she came back, she was defensive.  I smiled and assured her that I wasn’t in a hurry.  The second time she left, she was less defensive and thanked me for my patience.  I said, I knew it was a busy day for her and that I appreciated her taking the time for me.  The third time, her mood was lighter and she said, “I’m so sorry.”  I told her that she was doing a great job, and she was worth waiting for.

When she finished I walked over to pay.  Her guard was down and she was more at ease.  She said, “Thank you for your patience. I’m so sorry for all the interruptions.”  Her head was still a bit low and I touched her forearm.  Our eyes met.  I thanked her for making my feet feel better and my toes look beautiful.  I signed the receipt and she saw I had given her a generous tip.  She looked me in the eye and a broad smile eased across her face.  She thanked me and nodded her gratefulness.  When I walked out the door, we both felt a lot better.

The Lord had to help me with this one—to respond less like me and more like Him. Once the Lord showed me that she was just was a young woman having a bad day, I was able to empathize, say “no” to my flesh and respond in the Spirit.  She washed my feet and, in a way, I washed hers.

Though I didn’t mention the Lord that day, I planted a seed.  The Holy Spirit can cause it to grow.

Father, we come before You.  Remind us that most people we encounter are going through something hard—as simple as a headache or as devastating as a death.  Help us to believe the best of them (I Corinthians 13:7), and to treat them how we would want to be treated. (Matthew 7:12).

Lord, be strong within us, that like Peter, our very shadow would bring healing (Acts 5:15), because Your Spirit lives within us. When we are tempted to let loose the reins of our tongues, we invite Your Holy Spirit to press a finger of silence against our lips.

May our words be a balm to the broken-hearted, a light to those lost in darkness and salt to those whose lives have lost all flavor.  And help us to preach the Good News — sometimes even with words. In Jesus’ Name. ❤️

Beloved, some of us hide emotion better than others. When confronted with difficult people or circumstances, why not give them the benefit of the doubt, and be lavish in dispensing kindness? The Lord will repay you generously. 💡

If you have been encouraged or challenged, please repost and further His kingdom!  Then come, follow and be refreshed at:
https://www.facebook.com/Prayers-of-a-Ragamuffin-Warrior-171515087035441/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes