The Joy of Imperfection

Good morning, my friend!  Good morning, Father!

“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.” - Ephesians 2:8-9

Lord, I have been a chiropractor for more than 30 years.  We strive for balance, symmetry and perfection.  And I have spent the last three decades focused on exactly that.  While I still love my profession, I can clearly see how striving for perfection has bled over into many areas of my life.  Apart from You, Lord, no one is perfect.  Yoked to the burden of perfectionism has made me a good doctor, but it has put a burden on my soul that has stolen joy that could have been mine, had my goal been excellence instead of perfection.  Recently, I have been relishing the fact that Jesus is perfection for me.  That truth frees me to just be the best me that I can be.  

I have been painting ceramics and have been purposeful to paint asymmetrically.  I am seeing a beauty in asymmetry and imperfection that I never noticed before.  I paint, and the freedom that I feel to not have the pressure of perfection has been incredibly fulfilling and joyful.  Perfection is a harsh and demanding task master.  How much more joyful it is to celebrate and worship Your perfection, while I aim for excellence.

Father, I lift my friend.  I thank You for the amazing gifts and talents You have given them.  Lord, if they are like many people, they punish themselves for imperfections, demanding a level of accomplishment that You, Yourself, have attained for us.  Release them from the enemy’s torment of perfectionism that time and again has stolen the blue ribbon from their heart, declaring their efforts flawed.  Release their joy, and the liberation of striving for, and achieving, excellence.  

“Jesus answered them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor; those who are sick do. I’ve come to call sinners to change the way they think and act, not to call people who think they have God’s approval.”” - Luke 5:31-32  Lord, give them eyes to see beauty, even in the messes of life.  Because Jesus died for all the messes.  All the messes of the world.  In Jesus Name ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes