Living On Leash

Good morning, my friend!  Good morning, Father!

“And Moses said unto God, ‘Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?’”-  Exodus 3:11-12. 

Lord, the older I get the more I am convinced that we are all broken people.  Whether our brokenness is physical, mental, emotional or spiritual, we all have “stuff” that we deal with.  The invisibility of our neighbors’ frailties makes us feel alone, less than and unusable for anything of value.  Our insecurities cause us to believe that we are far better suited to serve doing something menial than something meaningful..

Moses struggled with this.  One of the greatest and most powerfully used men in biblical history felt inferiority.  When told he would go before Pharaoh as Your messenger on behalf of the children of Israel, Moses said, “Please, Lord, I'm not a good speaker. I've never been a good speaker, and I'm not now, even though you've spoken to me. I speak slowly, and I have a speech impediment." - Exodus 4:10.  He felt his disability disqualified him for service in that capacity.

Our dog is very smart and an incredibly fast and agile runner.  Bred for herding animals, he darts in and out, turns on a dime and will herd everything and everyone around him, including us, if we let him.  While it might be great on a farm, in public it can be annoying and even dangerous.  So preoccupied with his gifting, he is oblivious to other dangers.  As a result, in public we keep him on a short leash.  We bridle his enthusiasm so as to keep him from running into the street, getting lost or unintentionally causing harm to him or someone who is unsteady on their feet.  While he would prefer to be without it, his leash is a gift to both him and those around him.

Like both Moses and our dog, I have my disabilities as well.  I struggle, of all things, with processing language.  I often find it exhausting to find the right words.  Once found, they frequently get lost on their way to my tongue and fingertips.  It is peculiar thing to simultaneously bear a measure of giftedness and disability in the same area.  Perhaps, also like Moses and our dog, my tongue has been similarly bridled for a reason.  Perhaps left to my own devices my tongue would cause harm, get me off track, cause me to become haughty or set someone else off balance.  As it is, when submitted to Your leading, I, more than anyone else, am surprised by what You inspire me to pen.  It is apparent that You are the author, while I remain Your grateful stenographer.  In Your kindness and generosity, You allow me the honor and joy of seeing You slip Your hand into my brokenness and create something useful, even beautiful, for Your glory.  I am beginning to know the meaning of 2 Corinthians 12:9 in my life.  It says, “‘My grace is all you need, for my power is greatest when you are weak.’  I am most happy, then, to be proud of my weaknesses, in order to feel the protection of Christ's power over me.’”  

Father, I lift my friend.  If in them lies a similarly bridled giftedness, I ask that You draw it to their attention.  Lord, give them eyes to see that nothing and no one are beyond Your ability to use for Your glory.  Woo them into Your secret place and lift the stigma of their brokenness, replacing it with a mantle of grace.  Exchange their inferiority with a depth of security in Your all-sufficiency, that they may come to know the joy of partnering with You in the miraculous.  May that wonder bring them joyfully to their knees, as they offer both their giftedness and brokenness on Your altar, and give all the honor and glory to whom it is due.  In Jesus Name ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes