The Grocery Cart

CONFESSION:
Good morning, my friend!  Good morning, Father!  

Lord, I had an eye opening moment at the grocery store yesterday.  The store was busy and my cart was full with a vast array of holiday and specialty foods that I rarely buy.  The Christmas music playing was particularly annoying and unusually loud.  I was feeling overwhelmed and my irritation was rising.  A tinge of resentment crossed my mind as I wondered why the responsibility always fell solely and squarely in my lap to organize and pull together family events.  

Feeling the pressure and the weight of the obligatory labor and the earned exhaustion that I knew would be forthcoming, I glanced casually at the older gentleman who was walking toward me.  My cart was shockingly full, but his cart had maybe five sad, little items in it.  He may have had plans to spend Christmas at his daughter’s home, or these few things may have been last minute items he needed for a Christmas gathering.  That may have been the case, but I suspect his cart was nearly empty, because his life was small.  He was likely spending the season alone.   It suddenly dawned on me that my cart was full and the pressure was high, because I had people in my life.

My heart suddenly shifted gears.  My resentment was replaced with gratefulness, and feelings of being an abused martyr was exchanged with embarrassment for my self-indulgent attitude.  You would have thought that the items in my cart were for the pity party I was throwing.  I realize that I’m busy and stressed and spending so much extra on food, because I am blessed with people to love.  My family may be loud, opinionated, finicky and sometimes frustrating, but they are mine.  I still have them - weird habits, quirks, bad puns and all.  We are a big, dysfunctional mess, but I would rather spending the time with this raggedy group of misfits than a lonely dinner with my only companion, the sound of crickets outside.  I am stressed, because my life, like my cart, is full.

Father, I lift my friend before You.  Give them new eyes with which to see the season - a fresh perspective on their circumstances.  Replace feelings of burden or resentment with gratitude that they still have those sometimes annoying, complaining faces to love.  They still have someone that claims them as family or friend. And in my case, there is even a family resemblance - I can be a loud, opinionated and annoying misfit in my own right.  Luke 12:28 comes to mind that says, “ To whom much is given, much is required.”  Father, thank You that so much is required of us, because it means we have been given much as well.  In Jesus Name ❤️. Merry Christmas, dear friend.  You are more of a warrior than you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes