Take Out The Trash

CONFESSION:
Good morning, my friend!  Good morning, Father!  

“You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.” - Genesis 50:20 NIV

Lord, this morning I was mulling over this scripture.  In retrospect, I can see many times in my life where this verse is on display - I can see the good that comes out of what appeared as bad, but other times I can’t see any good at all.  So, this morning I asked You why this is.  Your response to my heart was surprisingly swift, as if to say, “I am so glad you asked!”  Along with it came a bit of a sting.  You said, 

“You cannot simultaneously play both the role of victim and victor.  You cannot both bemoan your plight and sing my praise.”  

Forgive me, Lord!  Apparently, I have been holding on to the pain of victimhood. In so doing, I have unwittingly stayed Your hand from revealing to me the good from my circumstances.  My desire to remain the innocent victim, all the while continuing to point to another’s sin and stubbornly harboring unforgiveness, have gotten the best of me.  My innocence has mutated into the ugly hard-heartedness of self-righteousness and judgmentalism.   As long as I choose to carry the rubbish of past wounds by refusing to forgive, I will continue to hurt, and my vision and arms will be too full to see, let alone, embrace and take hold of the good.  It says in Psalm 22:3, “But you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.”  Lord, I shudder to think what or who I might enthrone on my grumblings and bitterness - what I might usher in on the coattails of unforgiveness.  It’s time to take out the trash!

Father, I lift my friend before You.  If there are circumstances from their past in which they are yet unable to see any good, please show them if they are carrying something around with them that rightfully belongs in the trash.  Help them to abandon the role of victim to take on that of victor.  Strengthen them to renounce any spirit of judgmentalism or unforgiveness, to instead embrace the lightness that comes from forgiveness, the clear vision and unencumbered arms that are free to grasp blessings and the sweet fragrance of Christ.  Lord, while it is painful to be a victim, it can also be painful to relinquish the role.  There can be a vein of fleeting pleasure in receiving sympathy.  Strengthen them to battle against the powers of darkness by choosing to employ forgiveness and expunging the debt of others.  Help them to choose momentary pain that leads to lasting joy.  Father, walk with them as they take steps to take out the trash.  Once released, wash them clean and lift their heaviness as they put on a garment of praise.  Give them new eyes to see the good in what the enemy intended for evil, and surprise them with freedom and renewed joy.  In Jesus Name ❤️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes