The Pinocchio Syndrome

“The words of their mouths are wicked and deceitful; they fail to act wisely or do good.” - Psalm 36:3

Every single day, it seems, I receive an email or text, or I am forwarded a message that is a hoax.  Some of them are clearly bogus, as the premise is even ridiculous.  Others are cleverly disguised, using fear, greed or tantalizing, false bits of gossip that appear plausible, in order to attempt to lure me to forward it.  Sometimes it is a random phone call from “tech support” offering to fix my computer issue or someone gleefully announcing that I have won the Publishers Clearing House sweepstakes that I never entered.  Generally, I will investigate the validity of anything that is represented as truth or news.  I feel an obligation to those downstream from me to dispense truth, and I don’t want a lie to color my understanding, perspective or response to God or the world around me.  

The question crossed my mind this morning about how often lies cross my path every day and I accept them as truth, because it never even crossed my mind to question.  Snippets from commercials, offhand comments in conversation, lies from my past that attempt to revisit my present and cunning attempts of the enemy to gain footholds into my life waft by, never setting off my radar.  I manage to stop a lot of deception in its path, but I wonder how much craftily designed deception slips by my detection and I accept it as gospel.

Father I lift my dear friend reading this before You.  Send Your Holy Spirit to quicken us when we are encountering lies.  Help us to see them as such and to deal with them swiftly and appropriately, that they would not gain access to our hearts, minds or souls - and we would stop them in their tracks.  Your Word says, “No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who speaks falsely will stand in my presence.” - Psalm 101:7.  ”Save me, LORD, from lying lips and from deceitful tongues.” - Psalm 120:2.  Save us, Lord, from lying lips, both those of the enemy and our own!  Forgive us from spreading lies, whether intentional or not.  Your Word warns us that You HATE, “a false witness who pours out lies and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.” - Proverbs 6:19.  

Father, may we be so full of the water of Your Word that greasy lies of the enemy simply bead up and roll off, instead of leaving oily stains on our life.  Show us where to feed on Your Word today, so we are full of truth.  Lead us away from temptation and toward wisdom.    May our words be only used for Your glory, and not to further the schemes of the enemy.  May lies stop outside our door and go no further.  Help us, Lord.  In Jesus Name ❤️

Dear friend, have you been lured into partnership with the enemy by forwarding messages that you have not assured are truth, or propagating lies that suit your agenda, because you have failed to do your homework?  If yes, you are not alone.  That being said, once it has been brought to our attention, it our responsibility to do something about it.  May everything you say be truth saturated with grace and mercy!  💡

If you have been encouraged or challenged, please repost and further His kingdom!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes