The Secret Place

THE SECRET PLACE

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” – Matthew 7:7

Throughout my life, when faced with heartache or confusion, my wise momma would remind me that God gives us an imagination.  And we can use it for good or evil.

She would encourage me to use my imagination to prepare a room in my heart — a secret place for just the Lord and me, where I could share my heart and then listen to Him share His.

This morning I extend my time in bed, close my eyes, invite the Lord’s presence and enter the room in my heart where I meet with the Lord.

It’s lovely.  The walls are covered in floor to ceiling bookcases full of beautifully bound books.  The walls are rich and the carpet is thick and soft.

Before me there is a crackling fire and soft lighting.  In the middle of the room, facing the fireplace there are two overstuffed chairs.  One is for me and the other is for Him. I go to my chair and sense His presence.

Apart from the crackling fire, it is quiet. I pour out my heart.  After a long while I finally finish.  His unseen hand motions toward the wall and He says, “Ask. Seek. Knock.”

On the walls on both sides, to either side of the fireplace there is a large door.  I walk over to the door to my left and knock.  Nothing.  I try the knob.  It’s locked.  I go over to the  other door —same thing.

I look toward the Lord’s presence, and He once again motions again, “Ask. Seek. Knock.”  I begin scanning book titles which are actually names of people that I know.  He says, “These are the voices in Your life, both good and bad, that influence your understanding, color your perspective, form your beliefs and give birth to your choices.  Ask. Seek. Knock.”

I start pulling books off of the bookshelf, searching for clues and fumbling through pages, no knowing what I’m looking for.  The tension mounts and tear start seeping from my eyes.  I dropped with my face to the floor in front of the bookcase, tear after tear disappearing into the carpet.

“I don’t understand!”

In silence, His presence moves in front of me and softly whispers, “I will.”  He is silent.

So, I lift my head.  Right there — so close it reflects my breath, is a book.  It’s Name, “The Word of God.”  I reach to grab the spine.  Then suddenly, just like a savored turn in a mystery, a secret passage way opens in the wall...

Father, thank You for sharing with us Your ability to imagine and create and for speaking in unexpected ways.

Help us to do as it says in 2 Corinthians 10:4-6, “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.”

Teach us to use our God-given imagination for good, to dwell in “the secret place of the Most High” and there “abide under the shadow of the Almighty.” - Psalm 91:1.  Speak to, providing confirmation “established by the testimony of two or three witnesses” (2 Corinthians 13:1) as we ask, seek and knock (Matthew 7:7), turning first to prayer and Your Word and listening.

Give us wisdom and discernment in which voices to allow to have influence.

And when we come up against what feels impossible — a solid wall, provide a way where there seems to be no way.  In Jesus’ Name ❤️

Dear friend, while the Father provides us with wise counselors, we should always consult Him first.  Why not prepare a place in your heart to hear from Him. Pour out your heart. Listen. Wait. Listen.

He is consistent and His counsel will NEVER contradict the Word of God. Beloved, seek Him in the secret place and find rest for your soul. 💡

If you have been encouraged or challenged, please repost and further His kingdom.  Then come, follow and be refreshed at:
https://www.facebook.com/Prayers-of-a-Ragamuffin-Warrior-171515087035441/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes