The Power Within You

THE POWER WITHIN YOU

“So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up...” – Ephesians 4:11-12

STRANGE CONFESSION: My subconscious mind thinks I store words in my finger.

I should explain.  I spend hours every day writing devotions and creating memes for my posts. Since I primarily use my phone or iPad to do so, it is my right index finger that taps out my messages. 

Generally I don’t think about it, but when I highlight and click “copy,” something bizarre happens in my mind that causes me to think that what has been copied is somehow retained in my finger until I touch the screen again and hit “paste.”

While my frontal lobe knows that the power resides in the technology that is designed to respond to touch, some confused, self-inflated part of my psyche believes that my finger has the power to transmit, capture and release words. I’m weird.  I know.

Recently it has been bothering me that I see people referring to themselves as “Healer” or “Prophet,” among other things, almost as if it is part of their name, when scripture cautions us about religious titles.

“Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ. But the greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted. (Matthew 23:11-12) NASB

In a sense, we are cautioned against receiving pleasure by thinking too highly of ourselves—lifting ourselves above others. We are all equal before the throne of grace. It isn’t wise to exalt ourselves in our own eyes.  Those who will be greatest in the kingdom are not those who exalt themselves, but those who humbly serve others.

We are like the wires that bring the broadcast signal to our TV.  We neither created nor transmitted the program.  The program was created and transmitted by someone else.  The signal merely flows through the us.

Romans 13:7 instructs us to give honor to whom honor is due, but it is important to not allow appropriate respect and honor of others to become a form of idol worship.  We are also wise to view the gifts we have been entrusted with as our roles of service, instead of positions of honor and power.

The power within us does not belong to us.  It is the power of God we see manifest.  We can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens us (Phil 4:13). But apart from Him, we can do NOTHING (John 15:5).  To think otherwise is, frankly, foolishness.

“Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, But humility goes before honor.” – Proverbs 18:12

So, if we recognize that the power and authority are not ours to own, but belong to God, how then, should we refer to ourselves?

Jesus said, “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.” – John 15:15

How about we refer to ourselves as a “Friends of God” who serve according to His pleasure? HE is our teacher, redeemer, Father, Leader and Healer.  And it is His Spirit who draws us into relationship with Him.

The power to retain words does not reside in my finger, but in the technology.  And the spiritual power we see manifest in our lives is not from ourselves, but from God.

Lord, help us to appropriately honor others and to humble ourselves before You, so You may lift us up (James 4:10).  We are Your servants. Use us for Your glory. Thank You for calling us Your friends.  In Jesus’ Name ❤️

If you have been encouraged or challenged, please SHARE! ❤️

https://www.facebook.com/Prayers-of-a-Ragamuffin-Warrior-171515087035441/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes