Unnecessary Roughness

UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS

By:  Julie Souza Bradley Lilly

I frequently hang out at Starbucks with my hubby and the “coffee boys.”  We are regular patrons there, always sitting at the same table. One man named Roger, often pops by our table with his dog in tow.  It’s sad. Roger is so harsh and demanding with the dog, that the dog has become aggressive.  Unnecessary roughness has created a mean dog.

I was thinking about this today, when the Lord gave me insight about how much I am like both Roger and his dog.

Like Roger, I am a harsh taskmaster with myself. I over-schedule tasks and assign arbitrary and unreasonable deadlines for their completion. Then, like Roger’s dog, I snap at others, because I am exhausted and stressed.

Many times I have heard myself say, “If anyone’s asks me to do just ONE more thing...” Those words divulge when I have done too many things that God never intended me to do, and I have squandered my reserve of energy, patience and grace.

It’s disappointing when I realize that I am “there” again, because my life is no longer my own.  Every minute of my life was purchased by Him.  In exchange He offered, 

“Take my yoke upon you...For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” – ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭11:29-30‬ ‭NIV

I need to relinquish that little pencil with which I scribble assignments in the margin of my To-Do list.  Every time I let it go, I regain my peace and exchange my unmanageable burden for His burden that is light.

Beloved, are you frazzled or short-tempered?  Have you penciled assignments into the margin that were not God’s idea?

Father, help us!  We need the mind of Christ about which assignments You have for us.  Partner with us in what needs to be accomplished, and give us self control, so we won’t add anything to our list that You will not give us the grace to handle.  We resign as people pleasers to become God pleasers. Lord, we humbly offer to You our pencils.  Give us rest, and restore our peace and joy as we entrust our plans and future to You. In Jesus’ Name ❤️

https://www.facebook.com/Prayers-of-a-Ragamuffin-Warrior-171515087035441/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes