The Trouble With Two Speeds

THE TROUBLE WITH TWO SPEEDS

By:  Julie Souza Bradley Lilly

When speaking to me about my spiritual walk, the Lord has always used the analogy of riding a bike.  I don’t have the best balance, so riding a bike is exhausting and even a bit scary.  I much prefer walking.

Today I was thinking about my old bike and wondering why they don’t make two speed bikes, when the Lord spoke to my heart:

“You strive to live in two speeds—standstill and breakneck.”

His message began to unfold in my heart.  I push myself to reckless speeds that force me to focus my attention on the task at hand, to the exclusion of everything else.  Then, in exhaustion, I collapse into restless sleep.

At neither speed am I focused on Him. In one, I am focused on tasks.  In the other, I am unconscious.  There is no speed where I am both awake and aware.  He is revisiting something that I have yet to master:  Rest.

“My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”” – Luke‬ ‭10:40-42‬ ‭NLT‬‬

We strive to earn a sense of value.  We preoccupy to numb the pain we might feel were we to stop, and we sleep to silence the voices heard when life slows.  We long to hear Him, but these habits not only distract from painful thoughts, but also dull our ears to His voice.

He speaks in our rest.  There, His still, small voice bids us to come, be still and know that He is God.  In His presence He offers refreshment and all we need.

Father, we long to hear You and discover what can’t be taken away.  Help us to quiet ourselves, learn rest and find the reward of being awake, aware and still before You.  Speak, Lord.  And as You do, may we find rest from our striving, peace for our past, joy for the present and hope for our future.  In Jesus’ Name ❤️

https://www.facebook.com/Prayers-of-a-Ragamuffin-Warrior-171515087035441/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes