My Shepherd

MY SHEPHERD

By:  Julie Souza Bradley Lilly

“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.” – ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭23:1-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

These beautiful words were God-breathed to offer comfort on this journey.  But so often in life’s turmoil, our trembling hearts are lacking in peace.

I brought this inconsistency before the Lord, asking Him why.  He pointed me to the first five words of the Psalm.

“The Lord is MY Shepherd.”

“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.” – John 10:27

“My” connotes a personal relationship.  The Shepherd knows the sheep, and the sheep know Him and recognize his voice.  They trust Him, submit to His leading and follow.  And even though they walk through the valley of the shadow of death, they are comforted, because they trust their good Shepherd will be with them.

It is tempting to doubt what we can’t see.  And much like it is with oxygen and gravity, we can lack awareness of what is always there.  We would never want to experience it, but perhaps we would be more aware of Him if, for a brief moment, His presence were taken away, and we became aware of the hellish void of separation.  Every second we are not in that hellish void is actually enjoying the comfort of His presence.

Father, You are more reliable than the oxygen in the air and the pull of gravity beneath their feet.  Strengthen our faith to believe that You are with us, even if we can’t feel or see You.  Stir up the hunger to know You, so we will enjoy the joy of following OUR personal Shepherd.  And with that intimacy, may we know peace and comfort, even in the valley of the shadow of death, because we trust that You will be with us. In Jesus’ Name ❤️

https://www.facebook.com/Prayers-of-a-Ragamuffin-Warrior-171515087035441/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A City On A Hill

Paul’s Handkerchief Prayer

Beauty Among the Ashes